Legal Counsel and Compliance Officer (Hong Kong)
Endowus is Asia’s leading fee-only digital wealth platform. Headquartered in Singapore, we are the first digital advisor to span both private wealth and public pension savings (CPF & SRS), helping all investors grow their money with expert advice, institutional access to financial solutions, low & fair fees, and a delightful personalised digital wealth experience.
Our clients entrust us with a responsibility that goes far beyond technology or financial markets - they entrust us with their wealth - their livelihoods and ambitions of a better future for themselves and their loved ones. Our mission is clear: help people invest better so they can live easier today, and better tomorrow.
The people you will work with
The team has deep domain knowledge in finance and technology, bringing together decades of experience at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Credit Suisse, The Blackstone Group, AQR, Grab, Dropbox, Lyft, Redmart, Carousell, Bytedance, Grab, Kakao, Alibaba, and more. See our leadership team here. We practise inclusion and treasure our diversity in background and experience. A diverse team is our biggest asset and we look for people who share our belief in Endowus' clear mission.
Investors, recognition, licensing
Endowus is backed by global leading strategic and venture capital investors including UBS, Samsung Ventures, EDBI, Prosus Ventures, ZVC, Singtel Innov8, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and SoftBank Ventures Asia.
Endowus has been recognised by the industry with the following awards: Singapore’s Rising Star and Fintech Innovation (Asia Asset Management’s Best of the Best Awards 2021), LinkedIn Top Start-ups 2021, WealthTech of the Year (Asia FinTech Awards 2021), and the top 15 Singapore’s Best Workplaces Award (Great Place to Work).
Endowus is licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
About this team
Legal & Compliance Departments at Endowus are looking for a talented lawyer/ compliance officer with legal training to join a growing team in Hong Kong. Be ready to be agile and support a wide spectrum of work.Endowus is one of the leading digital advisory players in Singapore with aspirations to launch in Hong Kong and eventually grow across the APAC region in the next few years. Endowus operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment.
About this role; responsibilities & ownership
- Serve as legal counsel and compliance officer for Endowus Hong Kong with matrix reporting to the Head of Risk & Compliance and General Counsel in Headquarters in Singapore.
- Work closely with risk, engineering, product operations, product, marketing, client experience and other teams to understand and appropriately manage legal, regulatory, and business risks pertaining to Hong Kong.
- Coordinate with client experience team, product, engineering, and other teams at Endowus to support roll-out of new product solutions in Hong Kong.
- Manage the ongoing SFC licensing requirements, and provide oversight in business conduct and other compliance matters including financial crime, technology risk, and personal data protection.
- Managing our relationship with our local regulator.
- Support Headquarters in developing and maintaining policies and procedures in line with Hong Kong regulatory requirements.
- Build knowledge amongst the team to understand the latest regulatory developments that affect the business and provide interpretation.
- Assist in reviewing and negotiating contractual matters pertaining to the Hong Kong business.
Requirements & qualifications
- 10+ years of post-qualification experience as a qualified lawyer or a combination of post-qualification and compliance experience within wealth management, asset management, brokerage firm, or robo-advisory.
- An ability to distill complexity and to identify and clearly communicate practical, risk-based solutions.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders–from internal parties to sales to external financial partners, enterprises, and executives.
- A passion for learning about disruptive fintech business models and the intricacies of how they are structured.
- Great organizational skills.
Nice to haves
- Be curious, willing and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details of new business models but possibly do things outside of your comfort zone.
- Love to learn and do a quick study on new things, how they work, and what they do.
- Thrive working in a team in a fast-paced environment with priorities that frequently change and occasionally compete.
- Have strong analytical skills, love to problem-solve creatively.
- Be a great communicator and solid project manager, able to effectively prioritize and advance a large number of matters, often on tight deadlines.
- Be able to proactively take ownership and work across regions.
- Be comfortable working on legal and compliance matters independently and take ownership over matters, and know when to escalate issues.
Benefits & perks
- Stock options in a fast growing company *
- Employee discount for investing at Endowus
- Flexible working hours and locations so you can live life and your best work - you are trusted to be responsible
- Competitive Staff Benefits; Annual Leave, Medical insurance, Dental *
- Productivity Equipment; Omnidesk Standing Desk & Ergonomic Chairs, 32/42 inch 4K Dell UltraSharp USB Type-C Monitor, high-end computer peripherals
- Choice of Apple or PC equipment
- Additional S$250 budget for your favourite hardware to boost productivity *
Note: * is only applicable to Full-Time employees
How to apply
Everyone can be an Endowus client. If you are not yet a client, please create an account to understand our services and technology, and can see if our mission is something that aligns with your personal beliefs. We value your feedback on our product and will ask you for your insights throughout the interview process.
To apply email Careers@Endowus.com with the following details:
- Email subject: [Role you are applying for], [Your name]
- Attach your CV
- Cover letter in body of your email
- Desired salary/package
- Notice period (if any)
- Current location
- Visa assistance for role location? (Y/N)